Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Remote Desktop RDP Installation of Progression

Remote Desktop RDP Installation of Progression #3044

• dmaples
  • Fresh Boarder
Does anyone have a white paper, suggestions, documentation, etc. for installing Progression on a Remote Desktop Server? I've tried to do so (cmd > change user /install > [drive letter]\MacSql\Install\Setup.exe), with consistent errors:
  1. Your installation is missing VMMACEXE.EXE (verified that it is there.)
  2. SPPASPRF.DAT cannot be found (verified that it is there.)
I've gone into /execute mode on the RD server, so I know that isn't the issue. Any idea what I am missing here?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Remote Desktop RDP Installation of Progression #3045

• pshirley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Check the permissions on the two files you listed (I presume the first is VBMACEXE?).

Do you have access to the Exact Portal and Knowledgebase?
Peter Shirley
www.erpessentials.com

Remote Desktop RDP Installation of Progression #3046

• dmaples
  • Fresh Boarder
I do have portal access, yes. I simply did not find a document that was very helpful there with this issue.

At the present time, this is what happens:
  1. On first execution: ERROR #52 IN CheckSPOn at Line # 100 - Description Bad file name or number
  2. This is followed by: Your installation is missing VBMACEXE.EXE. Please contact your Macola Reseller.
  3. Any subsequent executions give the error: The file M:\macsql\SPPASPRF.DAT cannot be found. Progression cannot continue.

I agree that it seems like a permissions issue of some sort, but the account has access to the full macsql directory.
Last Edit: by dmaples.

Remote Desktop RDP Installation of Progression #3050

• swright127
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Terminal servers are a funny animal. I am not so sure about progression as we run ES here with users running full desktops and just published app mode.

1) /install mode - (good to see you found), you can also perform via control panel -> programs -> "install application on remote desktop" for a GUI version. And of course make sure no one is connected to the server while you install.

2) I have had to install the app via the console at not RDP'd into the terminal server. I know for MS Office and sometimes printers this is true for some versions.

3) Try installing as the local server administrator instead of a user with administrative rights.

4) The directory you installed to may have logging writing there. As such those specific directories may need to be opened for read/write access to the "users" group on the server. I would not just open program files directory, but the least number of directories.
4a) There is a tool "Process Monitor" free from microsoft [technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx] that can help find these types of permission issues.

5) I see you are mapping a drive, perhaps use a UNC path instead might be better.

Good luck!

Remote Desktop RDP Installation of Progression #3056

• dmaples
  • Fresh Boarder
1) /install mode - (good to see you found), you can also perform via control panel -> programs -> "install application on remote desktop" for a GUI version. And of course make sure no one is connected to the server while you install.
(We're doing the install on a fresh machine, with no connections, so I don't anticipate this being the issue.)

2) I have had to install the app via the console at not RDP'd into the terminal server. I know for MS Office and sometimes printers this is true for some versions. (I am using the console, since it is a virtual machine, with no RDP connections. The install is being done directly from Hyper-V.)

3) Try installing as the local server administrator instead of a user with administrative rights. (We don't use local admin accounts. They have been removed. All accounts are installed with domain admin rights. I will try using a new local admin account and see if that helps.)

4) The directory you installed to may have logging writing there. As such those specific directories may need to be opened for read/write access to the "users" group on the server. I would not just open program files directory, but the least number of directories. ( I will check this setting and post back when I have more info.)

4a) There is a tool "Process Monitor" free from microsoft [technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx] that can help find these types of permission issues. (Thanks for the reminder. Sysinternals is a very valuable tool.)

5) I see you are mapping a drive, perhaps use a UNC path instead might be better. (We have other issues when UNC paths are invoked.)

Remote Desktop RDP Installation of Progression #3057

• dgillz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
NEVER use a UNC path for Progression, always use a mapped drive and it must be the same mapped drive for all users.
www.gainfocus.biz
Worldwide support for Macola Progression, Macola ES, Synergy, Event Manager and Crystal Reports.
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds