Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Customer Portals

Customer Portals #1737

• jclark
  • Senior Boarder
Is anyone successfully using the customer portals? I have tried to set it up and have it working about half way. I can now log in as the user using delegation rights. But the worflow is not going out and neither is the email. Do i have to do something else? I have the HRBgjobs.exe file setup to run every 10 minutes with administrative rights. Attached are my settings from Synergy. Any assistance on getting this set up properly would be greatly appreciated.[attachment=0:2uxz684i]<!-- ia0 -->Portal Settings.png<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:2uxz684i]
Attachments:
John Clark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Customer Portals #1738

• jclark
  • Senior Boarder
The documentation on Portals setup is horrible. I have used the following documents 01.175.136, and 01.286.528 and all documents that are referenced in these documents to try to setup the portal properly and nothing seems to work. This should be documented better somewhere! If anyone has additional resources please let me know. :(
John Clark

Customer Portals #1741

• jamescard
  • Junior Boarder
John,

I agree, Exact documentation leaves much to be desired. We are successfully using the Customer portal for our clients. We have also assisted several of our clients in setting up their own portals for their customers. We do not (nor do we recommend our clients) use the background job to create Active Directory accounts (the idea of an automated process creating user accounts on the network is too scary for me.) Instead, we have built a request type called, Additional Portal Access, which either our support techs or the customers (i.e. an existing portal user) themselves can create. This request goes to the Network Administrator who is responsible to create the Active Directory accounts. The admin adds the username and password to the request and processes it. Event Manager then emails the customer and the account manager the new credentials and a link to the portal.
610-506-1460
jcard@msmpc.com
http://www.msmpc.com

Customer Portals #1742

• jclark
  • Senior Boarder
Okay the line about using a request to submit to the network administrator makes sense instead of automating it. However does this mean that the user has to have an active directory account? If so then you would have to buy a license for each company you want to use the portal? Is there another way to do this that doesn't require this?
John Clark

Customer Portals #1743

• jamescard
  • Junior Boarder
Yes, each portal user must have a valid Windows user account because Synergy uses Windows Authentication. We have created a separate container in our Active Directory for customers. No extra Synergy licenses are necessary for users accessing Synergy via the customer, partner, or reseller portals. (For this reason and others, we have clients forcing their sales staff to access Synergy via the Reseller portal.)
610-506-1460
jcard@msmpc.com

Customer Portals #1744

• jclark
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, but you would need to purchase a Windows CAL for each user that accesses the customer/supplier portal. Correct?
John Clark

Customer Portals #1746

• jamescard
  • Junior Boarder
Good point, another option would be to setup a webserver in a DMZ (outside the domain.) Install Synergy on that webserver. Create local user accounts for the customers/resellers on that DMZ webserver.
610-506-1460
jcard@msmpc.com

Customer Portals #1747

• jclark
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks I will give this a try.
John Clark

Customer Portals #1753

• Dkloepfer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
We were informed that CALs are not required for Accounts (such as Customers) to access a Customer or Reseller Portal.

Dave Kloepfer
Dave Kloepfer
http://www.synergyexpert.com
dkloepfer@synergyexpert.com
[url=http://www.synergyexpert.com:2v9xq3t1]Tips, Tools & Manuals[/url]

Customer Portals #1754

• jamescard
  • Junior Boarder
If you create the users as local users instead of domain users, that would not eat a CAL. Synergy does not require users be members of the domain, simply that they have a valid Windows Username on the machine running Synergy. Synergy uses Windows authentication. It doesn't matter if the Windows user name is a domain user or a local user.
610-506-1460
jcard@msmpc.com

Customer Portals #1755

• jclark
  • Senior Boarder
Dkloepfer wrote:
We were informed that CALs are not required for Accounts (such as Customers) to access a Customer or Reseller Portal.

Dave Kloepfer

I am a little confused. If you have to set up a user on the active directory in order for them to access our customer portal in Synergy, then I would think that you would be forced to purchase CALs for server 2003/2008 so that when you get audited by microsoft you are in compliance. How would you work around this? I understand that you don't have to buy licenses for Synergy for customers accessing the customer portal, but Microsoft CALs would be required for any user added to the active directory.
John Clark

Customer Portals #1756

• jclark
  • Senior Boarder
jamescard wrote:
If you create the users as local users instead of domain users, that would not eat a CAL. Synergy does not require users be members of the domain, simply that they have a valid Windows Username on the machine running Synergy. Synergy uses Windows authentication. It doesn't matter if the Windows user name is a domain user or a local user.

I see this makes perfect sense.
John Clark
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds