Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Reporting

Reporting #1651

• be05x5
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to check in to see what Reporting ways have people come up within E-synergy (or Synergy)
We would like to start offering reports on our Reseller portal. Crystal is what we use to run our Reports.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated as I do have a few of my own. Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reporting #1654

• jamescard
  • Junior Boarder
1. Create a custom ASP.NET application that displays a form to collect the Crystal parameters and load the Crystal in a viewer on a webpage. Give access to the reporting page by creating a favorite for the users (or a link on a customer Start Page.) If you have Interconnect, this whole project is made even easier (provided that the Crystal report does not use Stored Procedures as the data source) if you hijack the Crystal viewer IC uses. This method has the added benefit that Crystal reports are stored in Synergy as documents and you can update the Crystal without having to modify the web page.

2. If you have SQL 2005/2008 then SQL Reporting Services has some nice abilities and Exact is moving in this direction anyway.
610-506-1460
jcard@msmpc.com
http://www.msmpc.com

Reporting #1655

• be05x5
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks. Option 1 is what I have in mind. The problem there is in parameters.
Say you call this webpage:

../docs/ICEPPrint.asp?PrintView=2&PrintForm=18973&PrintType=1&salesrep=1350012
Where the salesrep is your only parameter. It would be really easy to understand this and just use this link.

Then you could create your own and view another sales reps data.
../docs/ICEPPrint.asp?PrintView=2&PrintForm=18973&PrintType=1&salesrep=231451

From a security standpoint what would you do in this case?

Reporting #1656

• jamescard
  • Junior Boarder
You could use the CSSDKHyperlink.asp page and have the shortcut/StartPage link go to this page. From there you can create redirects that pass the connected user as a variable to the reporting page.
610-506-1460
jcard@msmpc.com

Reporting #1657

• jamescard
  • Junior Boarder
Sorry, I see what you are saying. You'd still have the same problem if you use the CSSDKHyperlink.asp. You may end up having to skip the Interconnect part and write your own ASP.NET page and have the sales rep variable be built into the page.

Curious, are you trying to avoid this problem because of a compliancy issue or are your users really saavy enough to edit the url and run reports for other users?
610-506-1460
jcard@msmpc.com

Reporting #1658

• jamescard
  • Junior Boarder
...or (if you really want to use the IC page) you could call your salesrep variable by another name to confuse the user and apply some algoritm to the salesrep number that would not be obvious to the user but that Crystal could interpret.
610-506-1460
jcard@msmpc.com

Reporting #1659

• be05x5
  • Expert Boarder
Well the reps are not our employee's. They get paid on commission and they are very competitive; especially the ones that share territories. They do have some users that work for them that are pretty savvy.

What I will do in my asp.net app I will build on session start to insert a session["id"] into a table with the rep number. I will join all of the reports with that table and pass session Id as a parameter from the asp.net webpage to the Interconnect one. That should take care of the security. Figuring out a session ID should be a little bit more harder.

Reporting #1660

• be05x5
  • Expert Boarder
sounds to me like you know how to build in a cyrstal report within a .net webpage. That would be nice but I am not sure how to do that.

Reporting #1661

• Allison
  • Junior Boarder
I'd be very interested to see how to create a custom page that links to Crystal reports. We have Interconnect but have never tried to create our own link to other Crystal reports, but I'd love to be able to do this.
Maybe this would be a good presentation for the Synergy User Group sometime. Would you be willing to share??

Reporting #1662

• be05x5
  • Expert Boarder
Yes sure but it is not supported as an exact software feature. So I am not sure if that would be ok.

Reporting #1663

• Allison
  • Junior Boarder
I personally don't think it would be a problem, but I will check with Ann to see the constraints for the user group.

Reporting #1664

• Shawn
  • Senior Boarder
I currently do not use any Portals
As it does not fit our business model too well yet but
Other ways to do this. I currently run a Crystal reports server.
This allows me to create authenticated logins for AD and for Crystal Enterprise users.
What is nice is I can control everything. Internally and Externally.
we use the report server internally for the different departments to run there reports from.
I can secure financial reports by only allow certain groups and people to access the accounting folders.
In addition you can use Crystal Server to email the reports to people on timer intervals and other fun stuff.
I create Users for my Sales reps and then I create Report and just lock down the Parameters to just show there data.
then i can copy this file to all of the users and lock down just there info. This way I only have to create one report.
The down side to using Crystal Viewer is that it is not secure.
one could easily modify the viewer to use any parameters they wanted this is why I went to an authenticated method.
It also allows me to manage the Reports internally so that people are all using the same report. otherwise you have one person running 2 different versions of the same report and getting conflicting data or wrong data. Gives it some change control. The crystal server has Infoview which is a web based authenticated report viewer.

Shawn Gamble
Information Services
979-778-0502 ext. 143
979-778-0408 fax
Shawn@igoergo.com
http://www.neutralposture.com

Women’s Business Enterprise
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds