Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Auditing Accounts

Auditing Accounts #570

• Sween
  • Fresh Boarder
We have several variance accounts set up in our system. Is there an easy way to determine when each variance is used. In other words, I’m wondering if there is a way to have Macola tell me that “Variance Account X” is hit from module, 1 and 3 when these types of transactions occur. “Variance Account Y” is hit from module 2 when this type of transaction occurs, etc.

I think this might be wishful thinking, but thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

If Macola doesn’t allow me to “audit” these accounts this way, is there anything that you would suggest? I’m just trying to get a handle on when various accounts are affected.

Thanks,

Don
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Auditing Accounts #571

• dgillz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Your question is not clear. Do you want a document that explains how variances work in Macola or do you want an interactive notification of every transaction that will ultimately hit the variance accouns when these transactions take place?
www.gainfocus.biz
Worldwide support for Macola Progression, Macola ES, Synergy, Event Manager and Crystal Reports.

Auditing Accounts #572

• Sween
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for replying to my post. Sorry for the confusion. Let me start at the beginning. I am new to my company. Prior to my arrival, Macola Progression was installed at the company and has been used for about 12 months. Until I arrived, noone really challenged if Macola was working as it should on a transactional level. Due to my digging into the system, I've found several things that didn't make sense and thus had to be changed. One example was that when inventory was received, I found that the same account (RM inventory) was debited and credited. This was a relatively simple fix, but if I hadn't followed transactions through the system noone else would have caught this.

As I said in my original post, we have numerous "variance" accounts. The problem is, I don't know which types of transactions are causing each account to go up or down from month to month. For instance, our "Materials Variance" account seems to be affected when someone posts an invoice against a receiver that is for a different amount than expected on the purchase order. This same account is affected when the production guy does a quantity adjustment. There may be other types of transactions that are affecting this variance account but I don't know what they are. There are also several other variance accounts that seem to go up or down each month.

So, I wondered if Macola had any kind of functionality to tell me what modules and types of transactions are causing each account to go up or down.

Hopefully this makes sense, if not please let me know and I'll try to clarify further.

Thank you.

Auditing Accounts #581

The key to this functionality is the Material Cost Type/Location table. It contains the Material cost type code that is used on each item in the item master table. That code plus the location of an item drive the GL accounts that are used when journal entries are created by various types of transactions. The variance accounts are designated in this table as well.

Take an individual item that generated the variance dollars, check in the item master for that item's material cost type. Then track down the location that the transaction occurred at (inventory location). This takes some "sleuthing" but will show you how it works.

To really dig into this you'll have to probably start with the GL History View to drill into these transactions. If you need more than this initial push let me know.
Ann
Ann Roos Hayner
Omaha NE
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds