Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New to eSynergy - web design capabilities/compatibility

New to eSynergy - web design capabilities/compatibility #706

• dborn
  • Fresh Boarder
We haven't actually purchased eSynergy yet but I've been following it for some time and hope to complete a purchase by year end.

I am an army of 1 and do not have in house manpower to do any web design to serve out thru eSynergy.

I am looking for input from anyone that has outsourced their design needs for eSynergy.

Are there preferred design tools/formats?

Are there compatiblity issues with any know design software?

What skillsets should I look for in a web designer to work with eSynergy?

Do you have any recommendations for design firms?

Thanks for your help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New to eSynergy - web design capabilities/compatibility #708

• sharonfd
  • Fresh Boarder
Depending on what you want to do in e-Synergy, you don't really need a web designer. If you are going to be using Workflow, Documents, Project Management, CRM then you do not need a web person. If you are looking to use the customer portal for your customers to log into e-Synergy, then you will need someone to set up your web connectivity and if you want a GUI look and feel, the web person would be ok just knowing HTML. It depends on the level of functionality you want to have.

We currently use e-Synergy internally and do not have any web designer working to maintain it.
Sharon

New to eSynergy - web design capabilities/compatibility #716

• be05x5
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
If you wanted to give a new look to your e-synergy there is a way of doing it by editing .css templates located in Synergy\DOCS folder. If you have some programming and HTML knowledge you should be able to play around with these.

Has anyone done this yet?

New to eSynergy - web design capabilities/compatibility #724

• KellyC
  • Junior Boarder
Good advice all around so far. Let's add to it...

For internal presentation, modification of the .css is a more advanced method than most opt for. A simplier method to begin with is to update the icon sets in the synergy\docs\images folder (back up first). Use alternate icon sets renamed to match these filenames. Very slick when used with new Vista icons.

For external presentation, i.e. reseller, supplier, customer portals and surfacing docs on public sites, there is a lot of benefit in working with web designers. There are also some caveats to consider when hiring a designer:
1. Ensure that the developer is genuinely open and willing to learn e-Synergy's inherent functionality and logical security. To often, they are entrenched in their own development practices and will attempt to recreate the wheel.
2. If data needs to be exchanged between syn and an external site, ensure that you begin with using the standard info exchange (i.e. exact xml schema) vs. the developer's improvised schema. This is a very short-sighted and narrow design decision that can entrap you in limited capabilites going forward.
3. Remember - the external presence is MARKETING - and that should look smooth, slick and sweet. Behind that though, are the functional processes that enable you to run the business once the web site brings the clients to you. Marketing web site requirements should never over-ride internal process requirements. (Their idea of a home-grown web app that does psuedo workflow would stun any e-Synergy user. ) Watch things like this very carefully - SM guys are too easily pitched with pretty.

Bottom-line is that there are some incredibly talented, skilled web designers out there that work well with e-Synergy sites. Some of the resellers have truly stunning sites, and would be the first group I would recommend. They know the product and don't try to recreate the wheel - just shine the rims pretty. And there are also some web firms that have those skill sets and would be good contacts for you.

And then there are those that are skillful but do not collaborate well at all.

PM for recommendations.

New to eSynergy - web design capabilities/compatibility #728

• be05x5
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
What do you mean by new Vista images? Basically you are going into the images folder and renaming the files to ie. sidebar.jpg? (thats a main one)

Where can one get the vista images? Those are very nice indeed!
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds