Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: eSynergy - Just Getting Started!

eSynergy - Just Getting Started! #324

• wbailey
  • Fresh Boarder
I have just installed eSynergy on a test server and have created the instance of the database on our Sql Server. Would like to get help on the next step in the process from some of you that have already fought the battle. Do I need to create the background jobs before I do anything else? Which server settings are recomended use active directory or not? Should I make the server a domain controler if I am going to allow web access from vendors and customers?
Wayne Bailey
Plant Engineer/Administrator
Reno Refractories, Inc.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

eSynergy - Just Getting Started! #325

• Kruegeme
  • Expert Boarder
The server shouldn't have to be a domain controller to allow web access to customers. If you set your ADS information in the settings, it will automatically create the domain accounts for you. There are a few background jobs that are handy depending on what you are using eSyn for.

Here's the list that I started with...

ExactFullText.exe - Document 01.029.515
HRMail.exe - Document 00.808.509
BDScheduler.exe - Document 00.809.026 (maybe-see detail description)
LogHandler.exe - Document 01.694.212

You will also want to spend some time setting up the portals for vendor and customer access. It doesn't just populate this when you load eSyn. I believe there is a document on portals in the support area as well.

eSynergy - Just Getting Started! #366

• wbailey
  • Fresh Boarder
Is it not considered a security risk to allow eSynergy to automatically create the domain accounts, especially if I do not make the eSynergy server a domain controller? I guess I don't understand how eSynergy can create the domain accounts and what the security level of domain access the accounts eSynergy creates is. I presume a standard user level account???

I have already made the server a domain controller. Will I blow out eSynergy if I change it from a domain controller to a simple server within our existing domain. Current structure is as follows:

reno.local domain = primary Reno Refractories domain.
eSynergy.reno.local = eSynergy domain.
Wayne Bailey
Reno Refractories, Inc.

eSynergy - Just Getting Started! #367

• Kruegeme
  • Expert Boarder
You might have to do some tweaks to your e-Syn install being that it was installed in a seperate domain if you make the change now. Not sure what Exact support would say about that. Maybe easier than I remember. I think you can leave as is and just point the Resources settings to your primary domain and the Partner/Customer settings to the eSynergy domain.

It really all depends on your network infrastructure. If your e-Syn server is in your DMZ then you might need to have it setup as its own domain. I'll have to defer that setup to someone that has their system set that way.

In my environment, the e-Syn server is behind a firewall and is only an IIS server with no other responsibilities. I have other servers that are not facing the internet handling the ADS to help lower security risks (I hope). Under HRM/Maint/Settings, you can specify the domain and org unit that resources, partners, and customers are setup in. I manually control the resources but I have the partners and customers setup to automatically create in their own OU. When the ADS account is created, it has very little access (I assuming its only getting what your global policy applies). I'm sure you could setup a policy for each OU that would prevent any network access. e-Syn handles all the security when they log into the portals.

I think it really comes down to how much you want to segregate your accounts. Portals can be time consuming to setup from what I've experienced so far. I'm not an ASP expert so that may be part of the problem.

eSynergy - Just Getting Started! #368

• wbailey
  • Fresh Boarder
Am I understanding correctly when you say you manually controll the resources do you mean that you create the resource account according to the account credentials which already exist in ADS or did you simply leave this blank for resources in HRM/Maint/Settings? I probably will leave the environment as is and change the domain for resources to be my primary internal domain however I do not understand how eSynergy handles resources which already have an account in the ADS. I certainly do not want duplicate accounts in ADS for resources. I do understand that I can have the portal accounts for parterners and customers created in their own OU and sub folder should I chose. I do like your suggestion of having thes partner and customer accounts located in the eSynergy domain. This keeps outside sources seperated in ADS and is probably a better security measure.

My primary domain server is be behind a watchguard firewall which has a "Trusted" and a "Non-Trusted" port. The local network authenticates users through the domain controller ADS and allows internet access through the "Trusted" port of the firewall which has several polocies in place to handle internet security. The eSynergy server will effectively be our Web server and will be connected to the "Non-Trusted port on the firewall. This port serves as a built in DMZ since the trusted port and the non-trusted port cannot see each other on the lan side. So, the local network people will not be able to connect directly to the eSynergy server on the lan side of the network, they will be connecting via the internet unless I use a second NIC card and give it a local address for lan connections.
Wayne Bailey
Reno Refractories, Inc.
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds