Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Workflow - If/Then/Else

Workflow - If/Then/Else #2307

• dcase
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm currently building some workflows and I'm finding that it would be really useful if I had some sort of If/Then/Else function.

The most basic example is when initiating the workflow and the person check a box it would skip the next person in line and move to the third step.

Any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Workflow - If/Then/Else #2309

• Allison
  • Junior Boarder
The only way I can see this working is to use event manager to check for that flag and then have event manager auto-complete the step you want to skip by updating the appropriate tables. We have done similar things where we auto-complete a workflow step after a certain period of time. It is the RequestTasks table that stores the workflow information.

Allison

Workflow - If/Then/Else #2310

• wynohrad
  • Junior Boarder
I second using event manager. Just be very careful if you auto anything. Creating is handled withing event mgr, but completing etc involved database manipulation. Not a no-no, but be very careful. For the example used, RequestTasks is one table to update, but you will also need to look at Absences as well. There is a status field there. In addition, doing to manually does not log the change in the updated fields, who updated and what was updated. So the Data-Log link will not be complete. There may be other tables too. I personally have not automatically changed the status of a request due to the complications and potential for leaving unresolved fields.

What I have done is IF a request is at a certain status AND this condition is met THEN launch a new request of type X (or do something else you need). As previously stated, creating more work is easy!

Tony
Tony Wynohrad
Business Director
Gamma Vacuum

Workflow - If/Then/Else #2311

• dcase
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok. Are you using the new event manager for this function? If so how well does it handle creating NEW workflow on a specific event?

Workflow - If/Then/Else #2312

• wynohrad
  • Junior Boarder
Either the Exact or Vinyardsoft versions of EEM will handle the creation of the workflow. I will refrain from giving my opinion on which is easier to use. I currently use both.

The if/then part is based in the query that triggers EEM and that part of it is the same either way. For both versions, I recommend creating the query in a SQl view. Both EEM versions l have their own interfaces and I believe it is easier and more flexible to stick with a SQL interface. In addition, you can use the view for other applications or flip from the old EEM to the new. I have lots of views that are ... troublesome ... in either EEM interface.

Tony
Tony Wynohrad
Business Director
Gamma Vacuum

Workflow - If/Then/Else #2313

• dcase
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok, well thanks for your feedback on this.

I just called my sales rep to hopefully get a "trial" or demo run of EEM. I've used the Vineyardsoft beore in the past, prior to us getting Synergy and it seemed to work well. Do you believe EEM to be worth the cost they now demand? Seems their pricing starts at 25 events, doesn't sound like very many to me, but better than the 0 I have right now.

Workflow - If/Then/Else #2316

• wynohrad
  • Junior Boarder
Pricing all depends on your business need. We have about 70 automation tasks running after using the product for 5 or so years. Good luck.
Tony Wynohrad
Business Director
Gamma Vacuum
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds