Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Anonymous Standard "portal" site -- cannot get to work

Anonymous Standard "portal" site -- cannot get to work #2030

• keving79
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay we have Synergy installed on a Win2k3 box using IIS 5. It is currenly working for Windows authentication integration. However, we want a standard portal site that will allow anonymous users to view documents without logging in. There was an article in Exact's KB that I followed which shows how to set it up. Basically it calls for creating a virtual folder in IIS that points to the Synergy folder, but you change folder permissions to use anonymous login and turn off Windows integrated authentication. I have done this and set all the proper permissions, but when we try to browse to [hostname/Publicweb] we either get a "you do not have proper permissions" error in Synergy or "the server refused your request. It requires logging in." For the documents we want public users to see, we have set the security levels to 0 as well as created a "website" to use as a standard portal. No matter what I do, it insists we do not have proper permissions to view the portal site.

If anyone can shed some light on the situation...I'm willing to try just about anything. Thanks!

-KG
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anonymous Standard "portal" site -- cannot get to work #2031

• ddozer
  • Senior Boarder
I think that even when using anonymous access you still need to specify a domain account that has rights to the actual directory. You may want to set up a specific account for this for security purposes. So for instance you will have the anonymous box tunred on, integrated turned off and then specify the user as DOMAIN\webuser and the password, and make sure that this user has permissions to view the contents of the folder.

Let me know if this dosen't work for you.

Dave

Anonymous Standard "portal" site -- cannot get to work #2032

• keving79
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry but that made the problem worse. The tutorial I followed actually said to use a local user account on the machine IIS runs from. See screenshot below. Now no matter what user account I put in, when we browse to our PublicWeb site, it simply says "Service Unavailable" in about 5 point font. I'm totally at a loss here...

Anonymous Standard "portal" site -- cannot get to work #2033

• ddozer
  • Senior Boarder
just for "fun" replace the username and password with your domain admin account and see if that works. If that works then it is definately a permissions error related to the account that is being specified.

Anonymous Standard "portal" site -- cannot get to work #2039

• keving79
  • Fresh Boarder
Actually putting in a domain admin account in gives me the same results.

All I want is a simple web page that shows a list of available documents (and the docs we want public are all set to security level 0). The anonymous site is up and running but anything we try to view on it ends up getting blocked. The only thing I can get to work is to have it display one document at a time, but the document list (where it breaks thems down by category) will not work and keeps giving us "access denied" errors. I have followed everything in the KB regarding this and they claim it should work... but nothing. I'm not sure where to go next....

Anonymous Standard "portal" site -- cannot get to work #2040

• ddozer
  • Senior Boarder
do you have a website configured in Synergy for the anonymous users, or are you linking directly to bdcatsel.asp from your main site? I'm thinking that since you can link to a specific document ok that the security error is maybe happening on this page. You may have to configure a website in the document maintenance to get it to work ok...
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds