Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Excel Add-in "Save" vs "Save As"

Excel Add-in "Save" vs "Save As" #1188

• Rush Duncan
  • Junior Boarder
Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone is having this issue other than us?

We are using the Exact Synergy Microsoft Office Add-ins, particularly for Excel and Word. What we've found is if there is an existing document on Synergy that has an Excel spreadsheet, for example, if we open up the spreadsheet, make a change, and then use the "save" option, it is functioning identically to the "save as" option, which is that it tries to create a new document on Synergy with the attachment. It does not upload the updated attachment to the existing Synergy document - it tries to create a new Synergy document. The "save" button for the Excel add-in seems to be functioning identically to the "save as" button.

If we try this experiment with a Word doc, it works normally - "save" attaches the updated doc to the existing Synergy document. "Save as" creates a new Synergy document with the attachment.

I'm sure Excel and Word are supposed to work the same as far as "save" vs "save as" but for all intents and purposes it seems like the Excel Add-in "save" button is not working correctly.

Has anyone else had this same issue?
Superfeet Worldwide, Inc.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Excel Add-in "Save" vs "Save As" #1189

Could it be that the Excel while was not originally uploaded through the Excell Add-in?

If it is was created by manually making a document in Synergy and attaching the file, I could understand this behaviour.
During the attching no information is passed to the Excel file about being stored in Synergy.
So when it is openend from Synegry it still has no information.

If you save it then through the add-in it thinks it is a new document and acts as such.

Excel Add-in "Save" vs "Save As" #1230

I've been testing this on my system. When a Word or Excel "document" is saved into Synergy with the Add-in, Synergy "metadata" about the document is written to the customer property area of the document. You can see an emaple here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="synergytips.blogspot.com/">synergytips.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

I've been testing this on my system. The Excel sheet seems to lose its properties after it has been saved with the Add-in to Synergy and then downloaded again. The customer properties area is empty.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Ann Roos Hayner
Omaha NE

Excel Add-in "Save" vs "Save As" #1234

Ok - more testing done. It works as it should on another system I use regularly. I pinged Exact support and they say the Add-in needs to be un-installed and re-installed on the workstation having the problem. I'll buy that answer.
Ann Roos Hayner
Omaha NE

Excel Add-in "Save" vs "Save As" #1253

• Shawn
  • Senior Boarder
Could be possible there are few things to look for. there are more then one version of the synergy Addon.
I will do some looking but there are settings as to how to handle documents as well IE versioning I will see how that affects it as well.

Shawn

Shawn Gamble
Information Services
979-778-0502 ext. 143
979-778-0408 fax
Shawn@igoergo.com
http://www.neutralposture.com

Women’s Business Enterprise

Excel Add-in "Save" vs "Save As" #1254

• Shawn
  • Senior Boarder
This is what I found,
I "save as" a document "test.xls"
then with the same document open I select "save"
this is the screen I recieve, and it just saves really fast.
[attachment=1:2lgbdyzg]<!-- ia1 -->save.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:2lgbdyzg]

if I do a "saveas" I get this screen then I get the standard save screen.
[attachment=0:2lgbdyzg]<!-- ia0 -->saveas.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:2lgbdyzg]

I think this is so that you can utilize the versioning if you need as well as alerting that there is a document with an ID that matches your said document.

Shawn
Attachments:

Shawn Gamble
Information Services
979-778-0502 ext. 143
979-778-0408 fax
Shawn@igoergo.com
http://www.neutralposture.com

Women’s Business Enterprise
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds