Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Office Add-in, Office 2007 and VPN connections

Office Add-in, Office 2007 and VPN connections #1177

Has anyone had issues using a VPN to connect and then having the Office Add-in registry settings get corrupted? I'm working with a user who travels regularly. When he is in house his Add-in seems to work just fine with Outlook 2007. But when he travels and uses the VPN to connect to the office network, he gets errors "method of object failed". It has happened several times. Is this an issue with Office 2007 or the combination of that and the VPN? The Synergy version in use is "Classic 372). Thanks.
Ann Roos Hayner
Omaha NE
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Office Add-in, Office 2007 and VPN connections #1178

• LMCBeth
  • Fresh Boarder
We also receive this message often but have not traced the issue back to VPN as the culprit and so I am very interested in solutions offered in this thread. The solution we've implemented to date for users on the road when IT support is not always immediately available is to instruct them to reinstall the Add-in when the error occurs. Sometimes the process fails and requires a manual uninstall and IT intervention, which is quite frustrating for users. This problem manifests on desktops (no VPN) on our network as well as laptops (with VPN and without) on the road, whether pointing to an internal/network or external/internet install of Synergy. We are running Outlook 2007 but have not upgraded the rest of our Office suite yet.

Office Add-in, Office 2007 and VPN connections #1179

• Allison
  • Junior Boarder
We have also seen this same error. We are currently using Office 2002 with Synergy v373. It has happened on my desktop a few times and I don't use VPN. Reinstalling doesn't usually work, so I have to do a full un-install and then re-install the office add-in.
We are only just starting to roll the office add-in out to our employees, so I am very curious in a solution to this problem to try to minimize future employee frustration.

Office Add-in, Office 2007 and VPN connections #1180

For those that are just using a desk top and not VPN, I have seen some causes of the registry issues.
1. If you login on more than one PC and have Outlook open (no matter what version) on both machines at the same time, that almost always guarantees a problem. So make sure you shut down Outlook on PC 1 before starting it up on PC2.
2. I installed the Webex Outlook client and it clobbered the Add-in. So beware of other Add-ins for Office. They don't always play well together. Now, the GoToMeeting add-in seems to be no problem at all co-existing in harmony.
3. If you have a development or test environment, going back and forth can cause problems unless you are very careful to shut down all Office apps, reset the URL (I do it in WORD first), and then bring the rest of Office back up (Outlook).

I experienced much worse problems in the past with the version that was issued with v360. The newer version is more stable which is why I'm puzzled by the problems with the VPN connection.
Ann Roos Hayner
Omaha NE

Office Add-in, Office 2007 and VPN connections #1181

• LMCBeth
  • Fresh Boarder
If anyone from Exact is monitoring this thread, the Add-in could be made more robust/resilient and easier to use. We are currently testing Sharepoint for document management in our sandbox and it is easier to upload/download and check in/out documents in Sharepoint, which also offers more layers of document control than individual owner/creator/approver.

Ann: Which VPN client software does your user have?

Office Add-in, Office 2007 and VPN connections #1182

I believe the VPN is Citrix.
Ann Roos Hayner
Omaha NE

Office Add-in, Office 2007 and VPN connections #1257

• Shawn
  • Senior Boarder
I have been Battleing the ~Method of Object Failed for Years lol, This is the info I can tell you. Enviornment details it can happen in and not limited to Exchange 2003, Exchange 2007, Outlook 2000, 2003, 2007.
All versions of the office Addin. (yes there are different versions) The short fast fix for this in outlook 2000 is to go Options>Other>Advanced>Com In here uncheck the outlook addin then CLICK OK. reopen Com Addins then check the box again. The Office Addin will not work again. No need to uninstall reinstall. With Office 2003 and 2007 it work simular but addin can be disabled. here is how you renable it. Click Help>Disabled Items>Find the addon that was disabled in the list and enable it. This issue is not specific to VPN This issue can happen any where. From my observations this happens in situations when Domain connectivity is lost. I have 2 users who use the addin all day. one of which the addin was Failing everyday when she would go to lunch. the machine would be idle for period of time. Other issues would happen when people would login in the morning getting this error. I worked on many things to resolve the issue and I am not sure what fixed it as i have done so much. I do not see this issue very much any more.
Could be a mixture of many things. I updated to 9.5.100. I have Changed Global Policy to wait for full Boot on machines before applying Global Policy. I have made sure MDAC is correct across the board. I have monitored Network connectivity to machines that were having issues. Make sure that Outlook is updated. Clear out the local user temp files. Keep exchange updated. Here is one of my tickets on this from last year
26.087.772 In this ticket we also updated the CDO dll this was not the solution btw. just some thing we tried. Support did not like the fact that I was running Exchange 2007 since it was not supported many said that since it was not using CDO that the COM Addins would not work but they also had never done an Exchange Install. You do use CDO it is just not part of the exchange install you have to install it seperatly. that is the only difference. All in all I rarely see this any more. and in most cases now it is due to poor connectivity or loss of connectivity to the Domain, which intern breaks the Com.

Shawn

Shawn Gamble
Information Services
979-778-0502 ext. 143
979-778-0408 fax
Shawn@igoergo.com
http://www.neutralposture.com

Women’s Business Enterprise
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds