Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Using a Esynergy Test Environment w/ one install

Using a Esynergy Test Environment w/ one install #1091

• mgerbi
  • Fresh Boarder
We recently needed to have a test environment of our Esynergy and I had remembered something when I created the Delta Bike Demo Database. Esynergy created the database locally and used the same cfg file, so that got me thinking and hopefully this helps others as well.

Integrated Solution
First backup your Macola ES Database (which is also the Esynergy one). Restore the backup on another server (or on same server if you wish) and name it differently so you can tell which database is your test database. If you restored on another server, use Synergy to create a database on that same server, (to create logins and such) and name that new database anything except for you test environment or Live database. If you restored on the same server as your live then you don't have to create a database from Synergy.

Second, create a new virtual directory in IIS on the Synergy server and call it whatever you wish. The settings are going to be exactly the same as your virtual directory for your live Synergy.

Lastly, on the Synergy server, open the baco.cfg file and add the following lines:
[test environment virtual directory name]
Server=Test environment Server Name
database=Test environment database Name

The heading will be the virtual directory name you gave in IIS and the Server will be the SQL server your Test environment database is on and the database is the name of the database you gave it in SQL Server.

Now just point your IE to the web address of your Esynergy normally except replace the last part of the address with your test environment name and your done. Now you have a test environment.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Using a Esynergy Test Environment w/ one install #1175

Depending on the requirments the specified solutions works.
There is a big but, which you should consider though.

As both your production and test environment use the same software set, you cannot test a product upgrade in this setup.
In that case you need a Synergy install on a different server.

But the described setup is fine for people wanting to test request definitions, new configurations and such.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.027 seconds